Call for Nominations now open - 3 vacancies available
iLEAPS Science Steering Committee – October 2019
The iLEAPS Science Steering Committee (SSC) is the body responsible for overseeing iLEAPS' activities. Scientists who serve on the SSC normally do so for a period of three years, with the potential of renewing for an additional three-year term.
LEAPS welcomes any highly motivated scientists to step forward for nomination. In seeking applicants, we not only look for scientific excellence and a high level of commitment to iLEAPS' goals, but also aim to achieve a balance of expertise, nationalities, gender, and career stages.
iLEAPS is a global research project within Future Earth and has a scientific partnership with the World Climate Research Programme (WCRP). Applicants should be familiar with the development of these organizations and be able to contribute positively to strengthening iLEAPS' position within this environment.
iLEAPS activities are overseen by an international Scientific Steering Committee (SSC – see here for current membership). The SSC represents a broad spectrum of disciplines and nationalities, and includes scientists at different career stages. The continuing success of iLEAPS relies on the input of these people. Funded by Future Earth, the SSC meets quarterly and in person annually.
The SSC guides the overall direction of iLEAPS by:
- Providing scientific guidance to and oversee the development, planning and implementation of iLEAPS
- Encouraging the promotion and wide awareness of iLEAPS amongst science communities including looking for opportunities to produce iLEAPS publications/papers
- Encouraging national governments, regional and international funding agencies to support the implementation of iLEAPS and the achievement of it's goals by providing adequate support to the necessary national, regional and international research.
- Encouraging collaboration between iLEAPS and other International Programmes and Agencies concerned with the scientific study and assessment of global change.
- Engaging with the Early Careers Researchers to enable capacity building and to establish a strong community of researchers across disciplines and institutions globally.
- Overall responsibility for the iLEAPS project
- Developing and promoting iLEAPS' scientific agenda
- Communicating with the iLEAPS International Project Office
- Acting as a liaison to iLEAPS workshop organizers and working groups
- Representing iLEAPS at meetings
- As opportunities arise, SSC members may also host iLEAPS workshops, participate in common position papers, and coordinate national iLEAPS activities.
Who can apply?
Any interested individual can apply to become an iLEAPS SSC member. Applications are considered by the co-chairs of the SSC at their annual meeting in October 2019, in consultation with the entire SSC.
During the assessment process, not only is the SSC looking for scientific excellence and a high level of commitment to iLEAPS goals, but also to achieve a balance across the SSC in expertise, nationalities, gender, and career stage.
Selected candidates are then recommended to Future Earth for final approval.
Please send the following items by email to Victoria Barlow, iLEAPS International Project Office – firstname.lastname@example.org no later than noon on Friday 27th September 2019.
- Your CV (max. 4 pages)
- A statement outlining your goals and plans for iLEAPS as an SSC member (max. 1 page) this must include the proposal to hold an iLEAPS related activity e.g. a workshop that will capacity build within the iLEAPS ECSN – you will be required to find the funding for such an activity but will receive IPO support in the organisation & publicising of such an event.
- Two letters of support from scientists within the scientific scope of iLEAPS (each max. 1 page)