The iLEAPS Scientific Steering Committee (SSC) members are scientists selected from the international environmental research community. New iLEAPS SSC members are appointed by the Scientific Committee of IGBP (SC-IGBP) on the basis of their scientific expertise and serve for a period of three years with the possibility of one renewal period. The SSC guides the overall direction and development of the project by:
- Providing scientific guidance to and oversee the development, planning and implementation of iLEAPS.
- Encouraging the promotion and wide awareness of iLEAPS amongst science communities including publication of results.
- Demonstrating progress and achievements by defining and monitoring milestones and results.
- Encouraging national governments, regional and international funding agencies to support the implementation of iLEAPS and the achievement of it's goals by providing adequate support to the necessary national, regional and international research.
- Encouraging collaboration between iLEAPS and other International Programmes and Agencies concerned with the scientific study and assessment of global change.